The 2011 holiday schedule, approved by Chancellor Brady, has been released by Human Resource Services:
New Year’s Day – Friday, Dec. 31, 2010
Martin L. King’s Birthday – Monday, Jan. 17, 2011
Spring Holiday – Friday, April 22, 2011
Independence Day – Monday, July 4, 2011
Labor Day – Monday, Sept. 5, 2011
Thanksgiving Holiday – Thursday, Friday, Nov. 24 -25, 2011
Winter Holiday – Monday through Thursday, Dec. 26, 27*, 28, 29, 2011
The university will be closed Friday, Dec. 30, 2011.
Regarding the scheduled holidays for the year 2011:
- Due to Jan. 1, 2011 falling on a Saturday, Friday, Dec. 31, 2010 will be observed as the New Year’s Holiday.
- Employees may use accrued vacation time, bonus leave, compensatory time or leave without pay to cover the one day the university is closed. Employees who have no accrued leave time may make up the time with supervisory approval.
- Employees may wish to use vacation time to attend religious services on days other than scheduled holidays. Department heads are strongly encouraged to accommodate such requests by arranging employees’ work schedules so that they may use vacation time for religious observances. Only in cases of business necessity or emergency should leave requests for religious reasons be denied.
- Employees who are required to work on scheduled holidays shall be given, in addition to their regular salary, premium pay equal to one-half of their regular straight time rate for hours on these days, and shall be given equivalent time off on a date approved by the department head.
- Permanent part-time employees receive holidays on a prorated basis. Temporary employees are not eligible for paid holidays. Please direct any questions you may have regarding holiday leave to Kathy Watford in the Employee Services Department of HRS, extension 4-5009.
*GS126-4(5) Requires the university to note what day is observed in lieu of Veteran’s Day; Dec. 27 is that day.