It’s time for the First Year Summer Read 2014 book recommendations to be made. Consider making a recommendation.
This call for recommendations comes on the heels of a successful First Year Summer Read (FYSR) program on the book “The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks,” including a visit by members of Lacks’ family.
The FYSR Book Selection Team will review all recommendations for next year’s read for consideration of the selected book. The team will make a final recommendation to the provost and the vice chancellor for Student Affairs for approval.
The FYSR book selection team considers the following criteria:
- Potential to engage students and spark passionate discussion
- Appeal to a wide range of students; a fit with the UNCG student
- Possibilities for classroom use among various departments, including Learning and Living Learning Communities, Foundations for Learning, and any interested academic unit
- Possibilities for campus programming, particularly hosting an author visit
- Possibilities for community programming, including alumni and Greensboro reading groups
- Richness of themes; interdisciplinary in nature
- Relevance to student life (i.e. coming of age, diversity, relationships, family, self-exploration, identity, etc.)
- Relevance to global or international appeal if possible
- Relevance to service
- Written within the past 4 years
- Available in paperback
- 400 pages or less
Keep in mind that UNCG elected “Global Engagement” as the focal topic for our Quality Enhancement Plan (QEP). Our campus will begin to implement the Global Engagement plan in fall 2014. Therefore you may want to give special consideration to books that lend themselves to programming, reflection and discussion around contemporary global issues.
The deadline to submit a recommendation is Oct. 25, 2013.
Visit this link to recommend a book: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/FYSRRec