The Starfish technology is now available to all instructors, academic support staff, and students for the fall semester. Starfish is an early-alert system that allows UNCG to take a more holistic approach to student success. Starfish allows instructors, advisors, and other staff members to track student progress and remain in the loop about their shared students. IMPORTANT UPDATE: Beginning Fall 2017, users can log into Starfish at STARFISH.UNCG.EDU.
Fall 2017 Updates, Reminders, and Training Opportunities:
- NEW Log-In Method for Starfish: UNCG users may now access Starfish by logging into STARFISH.UNCG.EDU with their usernames and passwords. This update improves Starfish screen readability and allows users to view Canvas and Starfish concurrently if desired.
- Starfish Referrals: Starfish offers instructors and academic support staff several referral options for directing students to helpful campus resources. Raising a referral will simultaneously alert the student to take action and notify the service provider of the referral.
- Starfish Training for Faculty and Staff: Training workshops are available throughout the semester to help users learn how to navigate Starfish features. Workshop details and sign-ups can be accessed at workshops.uncg.edu.
New to Starfish? Here is some information on how UNCG currently uses this technology
Instructors and faculty use Starfish to:
- Raise alert flags for your students with academic and personal concerns so that they can connect with the resources and people that may help them
- Give kudos to students who are performing well or showing improvement
- Issue referrals to connect students to campus resources that may help them
- Complete Academic Status Reports throughout the semester to flag many students at once. Instructors will receive email alerts on the following dates: Sept. 5 & Sept. 26
- Post office-hour availability and manage student meetings
Advisors and academic support staff use Starfish to:
- Stay in the loop on which advisees have been flagged for academic concerns and provide additional support
- Issue referrals to connect students to campus resources
- Post appointment availability and manage advising appointments
- Maintain appointment notes and outcomes
- Clear flags as concerns resolve
Students use Starfish to:
- Keep track of the feedback they get from their instructors
- Schedule appointments with their instructors and advisors who use Starfish for online scheduling
- Schedule an appointment with a Starfish Outreach Team member for help after being flagged