Simulated gunfire may be heard between the hours of 9 a.m. and 11 a.m.
To ensure a safe exercise, the operation and location of the scene perimeter will result in temporary changes to daily campus operations. There will be a security perimeter established around the exercise to ensure members of the campus community do not enter the exercise area.
This will be one of the largest such drills in UNC system history, and it will necessitate the closing of some roads and sidewalks as well as some parking areas (see map here).
Road/Sidewalk Closures (6 a.m. to 5 p.m.)
- Spring Garden Street in both directions from Tate Street to Forest Street
- The north sidewalk that parallels Spring Garden Street from Forest Street to Tate Street (sidewalk closest to Foust Park)
- Highland Avenue from Spring Garden Street to Oakland Avenue
- Walker Avenue from the parking lot behind the McIver Building to Tate Street
- College Avenue from the Faculty Center to Spring Garden Street
- Administration Drive from Spring Garden Street to College Avenue
- The top two floors (4th & 5th) of the Oakland Parking Deck
- The SE portion of Lot 008
- Lots 13, 14, & 15
- All parking on Highland Avenue
Additionally, all vehicles parked inside the exercise perimeter will be required to move by January 31 by 8 p.m. See image above for exercise perimeter.
Bus Route Changes
As a result of these road closures, Spartan Chariot routes have been altered slightly for the day. For those who would normally embark and disembark at the Administration Drive/College Avenue stop, organizers ask that you embark and disembark at the Walker Circle bus stop. The stop at Administration Drive/College Avenue and Lot 7 at the Studio Arts Building, will be closed.
For more information, including a map, visit: police.uncg.edu/McIverExercise.