The SHRA Disciplinary Action Policy is intended to provide tools for addressing employee conduct and performance issues in a reasonable, consistent, and effective manner. On Sept. 7, 2017, the State Human Resources Commission approved revisions to the SHRA Disciplinary Action Policy (formerly called the “Disciplinary Action, Suspension, and Dismissal Policy”). This policy took effect as of Nov. 1, 2017.
Although these revisions do not significantly change the current policy and practice of the state, there is a significant restructuring of the policy itself. Some aspects of the disciplinary process that were undefined in the former policy have been articulated in the new policy to foster greater consistency of practice. The key changes can be found HERE.
Forum Learning Objectives
To help with greater understanding of the new policy, UNCG Human Resources (UNCG HR) will hold forums that will address the following learning objectives:
- Key changes to the policy
- Application to the SHRA Performance Appraisal Policy
- Types of disciplinary actions (written warning, dismissal, suspension, and demotion)
- Categories of “Just Cause”
- Conducting Pre-Disciplinary Conferences (PDC)
- Employee grievance rights
- Understanding investigatory status
- Internal templates, processes, and procedures for administering disciplinary actions
- UNCG HR’s role in the process
Forum Dates and Times
Forums will be held in Room 212 at the UNCG Police Department on the following dates:
- Wednesday, December 13, 2:00-3:00pm
- Thursday, December 14, 10:00-11:00am
- Monday, December 18, 2:00-3:00pm
- Tuesday, January 16, 11:00am-noon
- Wednesday, January 17, 2:00-3:00pm
- Thursday, January 18, 10:00-11:00am
SHRA employees or their supervisors MUST REGISTER TO ATTEND.
Policy Documents and Questions
SHRA employees or supervisors who are unable to attend one of the forums may view the new SHRA Disciplinary Action Policy on the UNCG Human Resources website. A One-Page Policy Summary is also available for review and reference.
For questions related to the forums or the new policy, contact Gwen Evans, Director for HR Business Partners and Employee Relations, at email@example.com or (336) 334-5212.