Chancellor Gilliam was among the many passing out cold water and other treats or helping students and their families unload their belongings.
Tim Johnson, director of Housing & Residence Life, gave Campus Weekly a report on Move-In as of 8 a.m. Monday. Some key numbers:
- UNCG Housing & Residence Life had 5,380 students checked into their residence halls.
- Additionally, about 60 students have been assigned to “temporary” spaces. 45 students remain on a waiting list.
- Each year there are some “no-shows” for student housing. Therefore, most of those currently in temp spaces will be reassigned to permanent rooms in the first couple of weeks of the semester.
- Most of those on the waiting list are upperclassmen who have a local address and applied very late in the summer. They are generally able to commute to campus until we are able to find them a space, Johnson explains.
- “We are slightly ahead of last year with these (on-campus residence) numbers,” Johnson added.
By Mike Harris
Photograph of Chancellor Gilliam at move-in by Martin W. Kane