New to UNCG? Looking for ways to meet people and explore campus? Look no further than UNCG’s Rawkin’ Welcome Week.
The welcome celebration for new students kicks off at 8 p.m. on Friday, Aug. 11, with the popular “Party like a RAWKstar” dance party in Elliott University Center. And that’s just the beginning.
Over the course of the next two weeks, UNCG will host a variety of social events, academic advising sessions, workshops and entertainment for the university’s newest Spartans.
“Rawkin’ Welcome Week is the start to your next four years at UNCG,” said Shakinah Simeona-Lee, coordinator for New Student Transitions & First Year Experience. “There’s an activity and event for everyone. It’s a great way to meet new students and make the transition to life as a college student.”
In addition to Friday night’s dance party, key Rawkin’ Welcome Week events include:
- The new Blue & Gold Block Party on Saturday, Aug. 12, from 12 to 3 p.m. at Kaplan Commons (EUC lawn)
- Charlie’s Fountain Fest – a classic Rawkin’ Welcome Week tradition – on Sunday, Aug. 13, from 4 to 7 p.m. at Moran Commons (fountain area in front of Fountain View Dining Hall)
- The inaugural NAV1GATE New Student Convocation, held all day on Monday, Aug. 14, at various locations across campus
- Fall Kick-off, an opportunity to learn about the more than 250 student organizations on campus, on Tuesday, Aug. 15, from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. on College Avenue
- The Kaplan Center Pool Party on Friday, Aug. 18, from 6 to 9 p.m. at UNCG’s state-of-the-art Leonard J. Kaplan Center for Wellness
- Spartan Service Day, held Saturday, Aug. 19, from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. at locations throughout Greensboro
- The HRL Carnival on Saturday, Aug. 19, from 4 to 7 p.m. at the Quad lawn and Moran Commons
- College Movie Night – featuring the newly released “Beauty and the Beast” – on Tuesday, Aug. 22, from 6 to 10:30 p.m. at LeBauer Park in downtown Greensboro
Throughout Rawkin’ Welcome Week, students can also take part in a campus-wide scavenger hunt. To participate, students must attend welcome events and scan QR codes to unveil a hidden phrase. Participants will be entered into a prize drawing.
For more information about the scavenger hunt and to view the complete calendar of events, download the UNCG Guides app and select Rawkin’ Welcome Week. More information is also available at newstudents.uncg.edu/yfy/rww.
This time of year is a great way to connect with the campus community on social media. Here’s how students can get involved:
- Tag your Rawkin’ Welcome Week posts #UNCGRWW and #Back2UNCG now through Aug. 22.
- Look for our special Snapchat filters during move-in, the first week of classes and at select Rawkin’ Welcome Week events. Filters will be available during the day in and around Elliott University Center, Jackson Library and Moran Commons.
- Rawkin’ Welcome Week photos qualify for our #UNCG125 traditions contest, which runs throughout the year. Check the event section of our 125th anniversary site for details.
Story by Alyssa Bedrosian, University Communications
Photography by Martin W. Kane, University Communications