This week, new and returning Spartans will arrive on campus for the start of the academic year.
While the campus community adjusts to a “new normal,” UNC Greensboro remains committed to welcoming students back to campus and preparing them as they continue their academic journeys.
During the first two weeks of the semester, a variety of virtual and in-person, socially-distanced events will take place on campus and online to kick off the new year.
Here’s a look at what’s going on:
Kickstart your college experience with L1GHT THE G & NAV1GATE.
NAV1GATE, UNCG’s new student convocation, is a series of events entirely for our newest Spartans to get to know the people, ideas, and opportunities that await them in their college career, and for them to prepare for the path ahead.
Students will have the opportunity to hear from Chancellor Gilliam; connect with faculty, staff, and students leaders; and learn about resources and support systems available to help them excel in their first year. They will also get the chance to take part in some Spartan traditions that mark the beginning of their college career.
This year, Convocation will be a two-part program and will run from Thursday, August 12 to Monday, August 16, spanning more days than usual to allow for decreased room capacity. Students will attend on the day designated for their College or School, giving them the chance to meet other Spartans with similar interests.
For more information, visit newstudents.uncg.edu/yfy/nav1gate.
Celebrate the beginning of the academic year with our annual Rawkin’ Welcome Weeks.
The welcome celebration kicks off Aug. 12 featuring dozens of virtual and socially-distanced events through Aug. 28. Here are some of the highlights:
- Indulge in a food truck festival by the Minerva Statue on Friday, August 13. Free meal vouchers will be provided to the first 600 students.
- Watch “A Quiet Place II” on the big screen outdoors on the EUC Lawn on Saturday, August 14. Popcorn and giveaways will be available forthe first 200 students.
- See a hypnotist show in the UNCG Auditorium on Sunday, August 15.
- Enjoy outdoor yard games across campus, courtesy of the Residence Hall Association on Tuesday, August 17.
- Meet new people by attending Take 5 Talks at Moran Commons on Wednesday, August 18.
- Cheer on the Women’s Soccer team on Thursday, August 19. The tailgate celebration starts at 6 p.m. and the game starts at 7 p.m. There will be free food and UNCG swag for the first 200 students.
- Laugh alongside fellow Spartans at the ACE Comedy Show in the UNCG Auditorium on Friday, August 20.
- Give back to the community by participating in UNCG’s annual Spartan Service Day on Saturday, August 21.
- Celebrate the Leonard J. Kaplan Center for Wellness having been in operation for five years, with giveaways and fun activities on Wednesday, August 25.
- Cheer on Men’s Soccer for their first home game of the season on Thursday, August 26. The tailgate celebration starts at 6:00 p.m. and the game starts at 7:00 p.m. There will be free food and UNCG swag for the first 200 students.
- See downtown Greensboro and enjoy an outdoor movie at LeBauer Park as part of Spartan Cinema on Friday, August 27.
- Enjoy summer activities like a floating obstacle course, slip ‘n’ slide, a floating trampoline, and more at Piney Lake’s Watermelon Welcome Back on Saturday, August 28.
For the full calendar of events, visit newstudents.uncg.edu/yfy/rww.
Spartans can join the excitement of the new semester on social media.
Share your photos from Rawkin’ Welcome Weeks events by using the hashtags #Back2UNCG and #UNCGRWW on Twitter and Instagram. Students also have a chance to win SpartanCash and UNCG swag by participating in our #Back2UNCG and #NAV1GATEUNCG photo contests this month on Instagram. Follow the @uncg account to learn more in the coming days, and access templates, mobile wallpapers, and augmented reality features on our page.
Photography by Grant Evan Gilliard, University Communications