- UNCG has five new deans. A reception for them will be Sept 5. The new deans are Dr. Karen Bull, UNCG Online; Dr. Andrew Hamilton, Associate Vice Provost of Student Success and Dean of Undergraduate Studies; Dr. Carl Mattacola, School of Health and Human Sciences; Dr. bruce mcclung, College of Visual and Performing Arts; and Dr. Sherine Obare, Joint School of Nanoscience and Nanoengineering
- New mobile app If you haven’t downloaded the UNC Greensboro Mobile App or have an older version of it, you’ll want to head over to the Apple App or Google Play store and install the new version. The app has personalized home screens based on the user’s choice of a persona, which they choose when they first open the app. Presently there are seven personas: Faculty/Staff, Student, New Student, Graduate Student, Prospective Student, Alumni, and a community persona called Families, Friends, and Fans. All personas are available now, but the Student and New Student personas have been developed with targeted content. Look for the Faculty/Staff and Alumni personas to be further developed with targeted content in the coming months. See details.
- UNCG’s Business Affairs Conference, scheduled for Sept. 24, 2019, at 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. (Note the date; CW had originally noted an October date.) This year, it will focus on the University and Business Affairs Strategic Plan. The division is planning to make the conference more streamlined than before. Details will be in CW as the event approaches.
- Career Services has a new name. Their department name is now Career & Professional Development. essential to communicate to stakeholders the breadth of offerings. Career Services has taken the proactive step of conducting a broad review of its target audiences to evaluate how it can strengthen its outreach and impact. That review is the catalyst behind the decision of creating a new identity for the department that better reflects the full range of outcomes from graduation career-readiness to long-term career development: Career & Professional Development. The department’s new website URL will be cpd.uncg.edu.
- Among the changes in student academic support services is: In order to better meet the needs of students, the Tutoring and Academic Skills Program and The Supplemental Instruction Program have merged to form the Academic Achievement Center (AAC). They will provide the same support for students, including Supplemental Instruction and small group tutoring in many courses, academic skills and outreach workshops on learning skills. Any UNCG student is welcome to participate in academic skills coaching or workshops, and tutoring and Supplemental Instruction will continue to be available for students enrolled in supported courses. Online and evening appointments will also continue to be offered. Their offices are located in the Forney Student Success Commons, suite 114. Information is at https://studentsuccess.uncg.
edu/home/ In the next two week, CW will interview Andrew Hamilon and give a broad update on what is new in Forney.
- The men’s basketball season will have some pre-preseason excitement and generate buzz and community fun with a daylong 3 on 3 Tournament. Ticket sales are very strong, we have learned. See more here.
- Au Bon Pain is no longer located in Bryan Building. See a construction update here.
- See some Key Dates for the coming weeks here.
- And for a full update on eateries and what’s new in UNCG Dining – plus many more “what’s new” updates, see this UNCG Now post.
Assembled by Mike Harris